How to Join
The FIT Project is a non-profit organization offering free fitness, lifestyle, and nutrition education for families with children who are obese or are at high risk for obesity and obesity-related diseases. Our mission is to reduce childhood obesity by way of lifestyle intervention strategies. If your family struggles with fitting physical exercise into the day to day activities and making healthy meals on a budget with limited time, then we can help. Our program is open to qualified children and their families. 100% family engagement is required.
What’s required from you + your family
- Attendance at fun, engaging and weekly community events.
- Commitment to using resources (handouts, gym memberships) given to you during your 6-month participation.
- Commitment to speaking weekly with an assigned family wellness coach/trainer.
- Attendance at nutrition meetings with our diet team and completion of a food intake log.
- Adequate transportation, consistent communication capabilities (email, text) and be free of major injuries that limit activity.
- Respect for our team of volunteers.
How to become a FIT family
- Contact your child’s pediatrician for a referral or contact us directly.
- Schedule intake appointment with the FIT staff.
- Complete an intake questionnaire before meeting with the FIT team.
- Attend your intake appointment, and you’re on your way!
The FIT Project recognizes the diversity and worth of all individuals and groups and their roles in society. It is the policy of The FIT Project that there will be no discrimination or harassment of individuals or groups on the grounds of age, color, creed, disability, marital status, national origin, race, religion, sex or sexual orientation in any educational programs, activities or employment.